Sunday, September 20, 2009

Michelle says.... swim,run,bike, run? What the?

Well, I'm sad to say that the triathlon season has ended here in Utah. The weather will be turning cold here in a few weeks so my final triathlon was the Inaugural Daybreak Olympic triathlon on Saturday. It was a great race except that the open water swim portion was cancelled due to 3 cases of roundworm reported in the area. Part of me wanted to risk it and swim in the lake but then I really thought about it and decided I didn't want worms in my butt. The race directors were as disappointed as the racers so they made a "make-shift" swim in a private pool 1 mile from transition. We swam 75 meters (3 laps) then ran 1 mile before we mounted our bikes. The bike route took us up 2 large hills before turning down a hill and cruising to turn-around at 11.5 miles. What comes up must come down though, so it was back up the hill we just came down and once up to the top it was smooth sailing back to transition. Once my shoes were on it was onto the run (again) this time 2 laps around Roundworm...I mean Daybreak lake. My legs weighed a ton and I just couldn't get them to turn-over fast enough. I passed a few women in the Olympic race and was pleased at that, thinking I may have a top 3 age-group placing. Justin was there to cheer me on when I crossed the finish line in 2.12.49 which gave me a 6th woman overall and 1st in my age group! Not bad, not bad! Of course I'm a bit greedy and want a top-three overall but I'm not too disappointed with my performance.

Goodbye tri's (for the season),

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Great job...I had no idea you did a tri on Saturday. First in your age group--that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete