Monday, July 27, 2009

Justin says...

Spudman Recap

I guess I should start with an apology. In my last post I took a stab at some humor involving a rock...you know, I swim like a rock...blah blah blah. Boy did I pick on the wrong group to pick on. So here goes...

"I'm sorry for saying I swim like a rock. It's absolutely false. In fact, based on my experience in the Spudman, I'd have to say any rock would swim quite a bit better than I ever will." That being said, let me explain my apology. Before I do though, a small tangent...who decided swimming would be the first leg of a triathlon? I can think of many, many events that would be more appealing...pie eating contest, competitive snorkeling, fencing, chess, etc. Just my opinion, but these are much safer bets.

and now, back to the story...

After one of the most epic of swims ever...I'm cruising along in 578th place. As I choke my way out of the water, BAM, my toe gets obliterated by a rock.. Coincidence? I think not! Did I mention how much I love swimming?

After limping my way through the first transition area, my wet and blood sock and all, I head out on to the bike. I've never felt so many eyes on me during the bike ride...they were everywhere. Get it...potato, eyes, LOL. I know, I know...lame one, but how often can you get in a good potato joke these days. By the way, isn't the peleton supposed to be at the Tour De France right now? Who'd of thought we'd have spotted one in Idaho. So much for the no drafting rules. Creeping into the top 100 after the bike.

My apologies to the poor saps who crashed on that da*$ shoe in the second transition area. Remind me to tighten up that clip? Oops...

Finally onto run. Ahh the run...what a run. Nothing like a hot, flat, dry, shadeless desert to make the run hard as he*%. Again, the eyes were penetrating...sorry, I couldn't resist. Definitely not a PR, but good enough to get me into the top 50 overall (42/1346 finishers). I'll get over the fact that I got passed on the run by FIVE runners...sometime this winter.

All in all, it was a great race. Congrats to my beautiful wife on her great finish (19th woman finisher)!

Way to go E.L., I won't let anyone know about the snoring episode, it's our little secret!

If the Spudman didn't team me anything else, it left me with a new triathlon saying...

"ROCK ON!"

No comments:

Post a Comment