Friday, April 1, 2011

Training, drafting and more training!

Well, I guess I don't need to tell you what we've been up to.  I vaguely remember being married to a man whom I could boss around with "honey-do's, he's been replaced with a guy who wakes before me and goes to bed the same time as the kids (8:00pm).  We've been to St. George several times this year to race or train.  This last time we brought the kiddos and had a blast.  While Justin was training I got to play with the kids at a water park, soak up some sun and cheer on all the athletes on the course who where training.  So I guess there's been some benefit for me as well.  I did manage to sneak in an early morning 13 miler but it's nothing compared to Justin's mileage.  Like I tell my kids..."you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!"  Justin made some deposits last fall when I was out for 6-8 hour rides training for LotoJa and man he sure is taking some withdrawals!  I laugh now thinking that I wanted to train for an IM with him.  There would be NO way we could both do this at the same time...NO WAY!
Much harder course at this water park.  Puts the SGIM course to shame.


Wall?  What wall you talkin' bout Willis?

At least there's a 25 MPH limit climbing this hill.


When in Veyo...got to stop for pie.  I did see a few other bikers enjoying some too!

That's my man!

Andy the turbo jet.
After the 112 bike ride and 8 mile run.  I should have taken his pulse...


As far as races go, I completed the Riverton half marathon last Saturday in 1.43.  Not a PR but I sure had a blast.  The weather was cold and windy and the course was hilly but the sun came out a bit for the final miles.  As we ran into the wind (my ultimate nemesis) I figured it would be good to tuck in behind some runners.  This is pure strategy that I learned from cycling.  You need to save your precious energy so if you can run about 1-2 feet directly behind someone it cuts the wind resistance dramatically.  I'm thinking that people didn't quite get what I was doing.  There was one point that I was tucked in the middle of the pack all warm and cozy- I felt like "Alberto Contador" in the Tour of France.  Was I running or cycling?  There was one point a lady told me "your turn to go in front."  Really!?  This is when I dug into some reserves and pulled way ahead.  I made my go for it in the wind and all.  Hopefully I'd win the yellow jersey for the day.

When the sun gave came out it gave me a big enough push to catch my good marathon extraordinaire friend Brittany.  We stuck together that final mile and crossed over the finish line at the same time.  That was sure fun and will always be memorable. 

Britt and I at the finish of the Riverton Half.
Now it's off to St. George for the SHAC race for Justin and some more training on the course.  Justin will be hooking up with some superfast buddies (aka. Rory "the rocket" Duckworth" and Uber-biker Andy) whom he's been spending more time with then me :-( boo hoo). 

I did tell Justin that he could make it all up to me if he took me to Kona this October to watch my boyfriends Andres and Michael Raelert compete in the IM World Championship.  If they go first and second K-Swiss will give them $1 Million dollars!  Lance Armstrong will supposedly be there as well.  There has not been a better year to go!   So go and qualify friends- I need more reasons to go!
Yummy, superfast German-triathlete boyfriends of mine.

Michelle

2 comments:

  1. "The Rocket" that's good. I will call you "Road Runner" (After the cartoon) and Justin "Speedy Gonzales" because he makes me feel like "Slowpoke Rodriguez". Thanks for the long run. That might of put you above Justin on your "Rory Time".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rory! I'm dying laughing. That's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete