Friday, July 16, 2010

Life is precious...



Life is without a doubt, precious. It seems like we take it for granted and think that we will be here forever. We often tell ourselves; "tomorrow I will do this or that, next year I will do this/that, five years from now I will be here/there." This is just not the case. You must live for today. I was reminded of this on Wednesday.

Brenda and I set out for our usual Suncrest hill climb at 6:15. Yes, we are definitely early birds! We try to make it to the top of suncrest before the sun peaks over. As we got to the top we saw a fire engine and ambulance heading down. We didn't think much about it and continued our ride down the backside and into beautiful Alpine. We came back up the backside and zoomed down Traverse and back into Draper. What a perfect and great ride...for us. Little did we know that it was a nightmare ride for a group of women cyclists who were involved in a horrific accident involving two vehicles. Ten cyclists were involved, 3 suffering minor injuries and one left fighting for her life.

The next day we found out that this 29 year-old mother of two had passed away. Ever since then I cannot get her or her family out of my thoughts. I have prayed for them and still I cannot believe it is real. I do not know this woman but know of her family. I cannot imagine the pain they must be feeling over this loss. It happened on a road that I travel daily; by car, foot and bike. Such a tragic loss for the family, town and entire cycling community.

I think of this woman and how much we have in common. She is a mother who like me most likely had plans to take her kids to the park that day, thoughts about what to make for dinner, projects that needed to be done around the house and what her hopes and dreams were for the future. Her time here was cut short. I pray that her family will be comforted and God will help them through this. I still cannot begin to understand why? Why? Why did this happen? Our mortal minds cannot understand God's reasoning.

As I write this, my son is just waking up for the day. He is curled in my lap with his "Tow-mater" underwear on, head on my chest and blankie held tight. i take moments like these for granted. Never thinking that they could be the last. It makes me think of what is most important in my life and of the people I hold dear. The thought crossed my mind that I should stop cycling. I don't ever want fear to dictate my life. Sure, you need to be careful, cautious and mindful. I'm sure this young mother was all of those. I think she would want others to continue enjoying life and doing the things you enjoy.

Live each moment as if it was your last, love like you've never been hurt and dance like nobody's watching.

When its my time to go, I want to be completely exhausted. Having given it my all in everything. Living to my fullest potential and loving with all my heart.

So, to my family if you don't already know; I love you with all of my heart here, now and always. You are my reason for being. My desire for you is to live your life to your fullest potential and give it all in everything you do. Love and do kind things for others and never take a day for granted. Each day is a gift. Life is precious.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am totally tearing up and my heart goes out to those family members who have suffered such a terrible loss.
    I am off to spend the day with my family and I will remember to give them extra hugs! Thanks for the reminder!!
    P.S. You guys look so beautiful! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the saddest story! My thoughts are definitely with that family!
    We all take life for granted at times, and we all need a reminder every once in a while. Thanks for posting about this, it will stick with me and make me appreciate a few more moments everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post, I will cherish each and every moment with my family and friends.

    ReplyDelete