Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Daybreak tri! Fun, fun, fun!
















The Daybreak triathlon was a complete blast! It was a little cold to start but no wind or rain. Last year they cancelled the swim (bacteria in the lake) but not this year. I really needed to get in an open-water swim before Boise half-ironman so this opportunity was huge. Although it was a "C" race for me it fell in perfectly with our training for Boise. We got to the venue around 6:45 and set up transition with ease. Then we found our friends; some that I train with, some that I've met from other races and some that I've known for years. This is what I love about triathlon. Justin says I have the "gift of gab." No doubt about that! I love to talk to everyone or anyone especially people who share the same excitement and passion for the sport as I do.

Back to our race. The swim was great. I hate the cold but there is something about everyone getting in the water that gave me courage to so the same. Once I was in it wasn't that bad, thanks to my nifty neoprene-helmet-thing-a-ma-jig. Once I started swimming and getting my blood pumping I warmed right up. The swim was set in a triangle format and Olympic distance athletes got to do it twice. At first I noticed I was dog-paddling and looking around at what the other swimmers were doing. I got a little panicked and then took a moment to spot the buoy and focus on that. Then I realized that I was sprinting and breathing with every stroke. "slow it down girl" is what I said to myself and it worked. I started bi-lateral breathing and paced myself for 2 loops. Exited the water in 21.43! So happy about that.
I was very familiar with the bike course and was happy to be on my bike. I had no idea where I was at in the field. I kept telling myself "C" race, don't get hurt and don't give it your all. I can't help it though. I'm so competitive. Once I got to the turn-around I started counting the women in front of me. There were 8. Ohhh man! Maybe I could catch them on the run...
Finished the bike in 1.10.50 (1 minute slower than last year-yikes).

The fun was the same 2 loops as last year and I knew I had to pace myself because last year I remember it hurting really bad. The sun started to peak through the clouds as I rounded the corner then some dude smacked me on the butt! "Good job Babes" the hottie said. Who was this smokin fast runner blasting past everyone? The one-and-only-my-guy Justin! He was cruising and passing people like Chrissy Wellington in Kona! I'm happy to say that it was only him and 2 other women who passed me on the run. I felt good though and asked myself if I could double this distance on June 12th, I believed that I could...most definitely.

Finished the run in 50.44 (same as last year) but felt awesome.
Overall time of 2.26.55 which put me 2nd in age group! Can't be upset about that for a "C" race.

The post-race activities were a blast. I got to socialize some more, swap stories and congratulate other finishers. They were giving away prizes (which we scored a few gift certificates). Sadly, the race was over and now it was time to load up the bikes and hit the shower.

Till next year...maybe an "A" race then?
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment