Saturday, May 22, 2010

No swim, rain, tough chicks, inspiring women and 48 seconds!
















Well what can I say? Women of Steel race today was a blast. Triathlon, like life, throws you things that you didn't plan for. Whether they be good or bad you realize that the only control you have is how you react to them. I am an optimist to start so that has boded me well throughout my life. As we were driving home last night (after picking up our race packets) a big, dark cloud covered the valley; I said to my friend Cindy, "well maybe it will rain all night and be fine in the morning." Cindy gave me that look like "Are you crazy?!" Even this morning when I woke up to a drizzle I thought "maybe down in American Fork it will be warm and sunny." It wasn't of course and there was even snow in the mountains! Not good for race morning. What ever shall we do? Remember like life triathlon tests you and sees if you truly are a Woman of Steel!
They cancelled the swim for fear of hypothermia. I was bummed but we didn't need women athletes ending up in the ambulance so good call on the race directors part. Instead we would do a run, bike, run. Okay so dualthlon style! I like to run so maybe this will be advantageous for me. Lets give it a tri.. or dual. We started out in waves of 100 up to 800 (8 waves), we ran 1 mile, biked 12.75 and then ran again for the 5k. I toed the line in the second wave and gave it my best. I sprinted! I was the first one out in my pack of 100 (uncharted territory). This felt weird. I'm ok at running but there are some smokin' fast women; where were they? I immediately caught up to the first wave and passed most of them. I could feel their eyes on me like "what is she doing?, Who is this chick? She's gonna pay for it later." maybe.....but its a race, right?

I got back into T1 in 7.20. Found my shoes, helmet, and bike and then back out for the 2 loops.I could see a few women with bikes exiting but wasn't sure how many there were. The bike felt good. I made sure I was uncomfortable the entire time (thanks Just for the advice). Two hills to climb...man those are tough #$%^*! I stayed around 19 mph average. Not to bad. I so desperately wanted to beat last races and last years bike split. My mantra; sub 40, sub 40, sub 40. Then this sweet thing passed me! She was so nice too I wanted to curse her but she was just so awesome so I said "good pace babe!" Tip: when your mad/jealous/frustrated at someone send some love their way. Maybe I could get her on the run...

After my final loop another Betty tries to pass me on her fancy bike. I held strong though and made it into T2 (38.30...my mantra worked) then out onto the course for run#2 this time a 5k. My feet were frozen and I was a little wobbly like I didn't have control over my lower body. I always feel like this for the first mile. Where r u running legs???

I was told I was 3rd and about 90 seconds back. Where was that sweetheart that passed me on the bike and what was that dreaded sound coming from behind me? Oh no! I can't get passed again! I said out loud (kind of like in City of Angels when the patient can't see the ghost) "I can't see you but I know your there." I NEVER look behind me no matter what. At mile 2 she matched me stride for stride and at the turn she pulled ahead. "Go for it babes and nice pace!" So much for a podium finish but I'll be happy with fourth and even more happy being able to do this crazy sport with amazing, inspiring women! Finish the run in 21.25 and 48 seconds from third place overall.
I love this race. My favorite part is cheering for all the other women who have overcome God-knows-what to be out here triing. They are the true inspiration to women everywhere. I loved seeing all the dudes on the sidelines for a change. Cheering wives, mothers, and daughters. To my little fan club I am those things. Thank you mom, Just, Abb's and TyTy you are my reason for being.
XOXOXOXOXOXO!

No comments:

Post a Comment