Sunday, February 13, 2011

New shoes, new PR's and some clean air = Great race!

Don't you just love it when things come together!  It's not very often that this happens and when it does it just feels oohhh sooo goood!  Yesterday's 10k was that rare and beautiful day where I fell in love once again with running.  I decided that after 4 years of wearing the same shoe it was time for a change.  I have big feet and I also run in orthotics and when I took my shoes off one day and they felt like 5 pound dumb bells I knew it was time for something a bit lighter.  So, I just bought the Saucony Kinvara trainers.  They are light as a feather and felt like butter on my feet.  Of course I had to special order them because no one seems to carry my size (10.5) plus I get embarrassed when I have to ask the salesman if they have them in my size.  One time the sales dude even said "I bet you're a great swimmer with those flippers."  I just said "why yes I am, thank you very much." Now you know what they say about girls with big feet....

Saucony Kinvara (10.5)

Anyways, the sun was out and it was a bit warmer than the previous race two weeks prior.  Their was no wind and the air was breathable (imagine that).  There were quite a few runners too.  The road runner club named this 10k the state championship so it draws some fast runners.  We just love it because it's fast, flat, organized and the energy is amazing. 

Sunny, no wind and Justin

My goal was to run a negative split.  I always go out too fast and hurt the last half, so I ran a good pace but made sure I kept some in my tank for the turn around.  I hit the 3.1 split at 23:00 which was faster than I had expected and I still felt great.  With two miles to go, I made a friend.  An older fella who was cruising along at a great pace.  He looked at me said, "well are we going to finish this together?"  to which I replied "if I can hang with you great but don't let me hold you back."  We stayed with each other for half a mile or so and then I swear my nos kicked in and I shot out of a canon (well not that fast) and left my new buddy and even passed a few other dudes and one girl for 10th overall female with a time of 45.47 (7.23 pace) and 3rd in my age group.  Yahoo! I did catch up with my friend on our way out and was reminded of the people who are a real inspiration to me.  Although impressive, the young and amazingly fast runners don't inspire me like the older racers do.  If I can still run a sub 50 min. 10k at 50 or even 60 years old I will be one happy lady; big feet and all!


My long, lost ancestor....

As for Justin; lets just say that that guy is on a mission.  He continues to break his old times by minutes.  He is FIT.  His Ironman training is paying off and these smaller races show it.  He had a four hour bike the day prior and swam two miles the morning of the race and was still sweet on his feet.  Way to go babes!  I love to see him at the turnaround and count the guys in front of him.  This time it was 14 and I usually flash him (well not really flash) the number of racers in front of him but this time I just gave him a shout.  I told him to try the negative split thing but of course he can't keep his competitive ego under control and always goes out too fast.  Fast enough though for 12th overall and 37:45 (6.05 pace). Nice job Just.

Justin on the home stretch


Race on my friends,

Michelle (aka Big Foot)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I will be doing the Icebreaker I just can't wait!!! Yeah the elliptical is just so boring some times. I think its worst than the treadmill. Nice job on the run Guys your getting really fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you both continue to inspire me. it was wonderful seeing you on the IMSG course. can't wait until May 7th!!

    ReplyDelete