Sunday, January 16, 2011

Me Hungry!

Beans, beans,
So it's been a while since my last post.  If you ask Michelle she'll tell you it's because I've been too busy eating to post. This time of the year is all about making healthy choices, focusing on portion control, counting calories, etc.  Right?...Well that's not happening in my world.  I'm totally out of control.  I see it...I eat it.    Thank goodness I'm training for an Ironman, otherwise I would be pushing 200 pounds at this point. 
Michelle snapped this one while driving past in a nice, warm car

As much as she gives me a bad time, I think Michelle is really secretly contributing to my addition.  She's been making these protein bars...unbelievable how good these things are.  They're filled with peanut butter, honey, oats, walnuts, flax seed, etc.  Each bar is approximately 250 calories, and I am going through probably 20 of these things a day.  If I ate nothing else throughout the day, these would probably be enough to keep me full.  I just wish I didn't like food so much.  Add breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 50 other snacks on top of these babies and I'm bringing in 10K calories a day...at least. 

the magical fruit,
In addition to my addiction to Michelle's protein bars, it seems that everything else I have been craving has some type of beans.  Burritos, chili, more burritos, more chili.  Beans in my coffee, beans in my oatmeal, beans in my water.  I love beans.  I'll spare you the gory details, but you know the saying..."beans, beans the magical fruit..."  Abbi our 5 year old is completely fed up with my diet.  She's told me I'm gross, disgusting, rude, yucky, and mean too many times for me to count.  I stink her out of the kitchen, living room and when it's time for a bedtime story...well lets just say I stink her out of her own room! Ty and I get a good laugh out of it!

In all seriousness, I'm actually trying to make pretty healthy choices.  It's just the volume of food I'm consuming that is crazy.  I'm constantly hungry...I just can't get enough.  I just hope that I can change my ways once I'm done with all this training.

Speaking of the training, it's going well.  I'm in the 11th week of training.  Some days are better than others, but I feel really good and healthy right now.  My run feels great and I've been mixing in some pretty intense hill training so I'm really hoping to see some good results this spring.  We're signed up for a half marathon on Jan 22nd, so that should be a good early season indicator of my run fitness. 
the more you eat the more you toot,

We've also signed up for the annual Winter Running Series that the SLC Track Club puts on.  The races aren't all that long (5K, 10K, 15K complete the series), but they typically have some fast runners to compete against.  My goal is to knock out PR's in all four of these early season races to build some momentum going into the SLC Marathon and SGIM. 

I'm really not sure how my cycling will be this year.  I've spent most of the winter in my basement on the trainer and I really have no idea how this will correlate to the road.  I'm hoping I continue to get stronger, it's just hard to say at this point.

Lastly, the swim.  I feel good with my swimming at this time.  I know I've got a long way to go yet, but I'm miles ahead of where I was last year.  I've received some good tips on my stroke that have helped my efficiency.  Just need to keep working at it and trying to improve.

Life is good...we're busier than ever, but somehow we both continue to find a way to keep at this/these crazy hobby/hobbies. 


Wind, rain or freezing snow; got to get my  run in



the more you toot,

the better you feel,

so lets have beans for every meal!
As always, Tri Hard!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like me!!! I love food. I would love to try these protein bars bring some to the half this weekend. Ps- We are doing a Veyo loop ride if you want to join us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring some down...although you might have to pry them away from me. That is also only if they survive the trip down. I'll try to track you down at the race. I'd love to join you if time permits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty sure you need to post the recipe for these amazing bars otherwise I think you are in violation of the blog rule about bragging about food but not sharing, hehe ;)

    You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Justin,
    We met at Blackridge (at least, could have been more races too), but just wanted to say that it sounds like you're doing great training! You run form looks good (way to land on a bent leg under your body, I'm a form geek :) ). As for the bike, yeah, try to get away to SG just for a quick weekend if you can, there are lots of people that head down. Trainers are excellent for mental strength and time efficiency, but sometimes don't help with hill training, which you'll want.
    You're training for an Ironman, so don't get too worried about the calorie count coming in, but make sure you're drinking PLENTY of water to help off set the appetite. Train happy, you're doing great and IMSG will be one of the coolest days ever!

    ReplyDelete