Thursday, August 26, 2010

Can you train for a marathon in 6 weeks?


With all this biking I've been doing this past year I am missing my true love...running. I slipped on my shoes the other morning and ran 10 miles! I could have run forever. It was a perfect end-of-summer-cool morning. It was absolutely gorgeous; trees still in full bloom, flowers and of course tons of birds and deer. School buses were out and it reminded me of my long ago childhood. I remember riding my bike to school and feeling my body wake up and the power of it as I pedaled my old blue ten-speed to the schools overflowing bike rack. So I got a little nostalgic and inspired to find me a fall race. Well the race is a marathon so I should be a little more serious about this but I really just want to run long. My mom, sister-in-law and several friends are signed up for the SoJo half-marathon. I love half-marathons and if my 20 miler (in 2 weeks) is a little painful I will do the half instead but my ego says "go big or go home." My second reason for wanting to do a marathon is because of a thing called a "runners streak." This is a weird phenomena that runners create for themselves; like running every day no matter what, running a marathon in every state, or if your Dean Karnazas- running 30 marathons in 30 days. Pretty crazy and weird stuff we type A runners and athletes do to ourselves. I want a streak of my own. So here it is...an inaugural marathon which I can run every year and compare my times, become part of the 5-year, 10 year and 25 year club! YIKES 25 more years and I'll be 56! Hard to think that far ahead but I'll look back at this blog when I'm that age and say "my how time flies...now where are my dentures." Anyways, Justin has a marathon streak. He has run the Salt Lake Marathon every year since its inception. That would be 7 marathons on the same course. His times are as varied as the weather that time of year (April). They range from a 4.25 down to his PR of 3.13 set last year. It has been so fun seeing him over the years. I love to look at the old pictures of us. First there is one baby in tow then in 2007 baby on board. That is why I cannot share the same streak with him. Boo hoo! We do most everything else together as far as races go, so this is my chance to start something of my own. Still love ya babes. I know it won't be a PR this year and that's ok I just don't want a DNF. I'll give it my best as I can for only training 6 weeks and being one week post 206 mile bike race. Next year, however, it'll be time to rein in and focus. Then pressures on! This will also be my 7th marathon so there's a little luck in that.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, you can train for a marathon in 6 weeks (not everyone can, but you definitely can). You're an amazing runner, and it's pretty awesome that you're even thinking of doing a marathon right after a huge bike race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! My sister and I will also be doing the SOJO and it will be are first marathon!!! Trust me you are so far ahead of us on the training you will be fine. It was so good to see you guys at the Utah half and thanks for the cheers I needed it! Your husband's fast!!! See you guys at the SOJO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh there are so many fun events on that day, I need to make my mind up. I've toyed with the idea of the marathon since I didn't get to run one this year besides in Ironman St George, but I don't exactly love long runs, and I'd think you'd want at least one 20-22, probably not time for two. Maybe if you did them two weeks apart with the last one 3 weeks before the race, but that's coming so soon! Ok, I'll stop talking to myself on your blog :) If I'm around that day I'll cheer you on for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said, I want to be just like you when I grow up. Seriously amazing.

    ReplyDelete