Sunday, April 18, 2010

Salt Lake Marathon=SPRING TIME!



What a fantastic weekend! Spring is finally here. It was a taper week which ended with our annual marathon and half marathon. The weather was just perfect and the people were great. I am so thankful for all the wonderful people in my life. We set the alarm for 4:30 and woke up without a problem. Justin had his usual oatmeal and I ate my gronola bar and a small cup of java. We all rode to the race together (mom, Denise, Justin and Brittany). What fun is that! Sharing prerace excitement with friends really wakes you up. The race itself was spectacular. I just love running through our amazing city. There were 4,000 participants in the half and 1,000 in the marathon. I felt great and passed some and got passed. My pace stayed consistent so consistent that I finished in almost the exact same time as last year. 1 hour 43 seconds. So I'm not dissapointed or overly elated.


As for Justin...


Well, it's back to the drawing board for me. I know I haven't posted for a while, but that doesn't mean I am no longer in the game. In fact, it's the complete opposite. I'm as focused and motivated as I've ever been, and looking forward to an awesome season. That being said, I

came into the 2010 SLC Marathon with extremely high hopes of nailing down my Boston spot. Everything was set-up perfectly, fully healthy, excellent training, perfect weather...I couldn't have asked for more.


Couldn't have asked for more than...hmm where to begin? Let me just say, I love the SLC Marathon. It's by far my favorite. In my home state, close to home, great crowds, fun/challenging course. It's a great race. I've got a 7 year streak going as of yesterday (completed all 7 SLC Marathons), bottom line I just really look forward to this race. Given all this, for some strange reason, yesterday was just an off day.


Here's a summary of my race, and some of my thoughts.


I felt great at the start, but at about the 9 mile mark I noticed I still had goose bumps. That's odd, never had that happen before...oh well, I thought, the sun isn't up over the mountains yet. They'll go away, just keep pressing on, no worries. BAM! Oh sh*#, what the...my left calf just locked up! What the...? That was strange, never had that happen. Okay, must be these compression socks I'm wearing...no worries. Ahh, halfway home...1:31 minutes for the first 13.1. At this point, I've run the perfect race (or so I think). Got myself a four minute cusion for the second half. Let's see if we can hang on...


Mile 15. Ouch, what is going on here? My left calf has been giving me fits, and now my right calf is starting to lock up. I still have these goose bumps...what is going on today? Alright, only 11 miles to go, maybe we can hang on. Check the watch, sweet...3 minute cusion. I'm still on pace.


Mile 17. Pace is dwindling...I have no thrust. Everytime I try to push my pace to 7:15 my calves are locking up. I'm now running about an 8:00 mile pace. I'm still on track, but I'm starting to wonder if today is the day. Take in a few of my favorite treats...some delicious sport beans. That should help, four little jelly beans, the perfect solution to every problem.


Mile 19. Oh no, this isn't good. I've lost my cusion, and I'm not able to keep the 7:15 pace. He*#, I can't even keep an 8:15 pace. This is hilarious.


Mile 20. I'm here at 2:30, I could push the last 10K in at my PR pace and still make it. Let's do it...time to focus. What's this? My legs are responding? Sweet...I've got this, I knew those sport beans would do the trick. Here we go, it's going to be close, but there is still a chance. Umm...that doesn't feel right, and why do I have goose bumps still?


Mile 23. Off the pace...darn it. Time to finish this baby and regroup for another shot at my BQ time.

Mile 25. Damn up hill section of State street! As Ty would say..."Dat's nawt bewy nice!" :(
Mile 25.5. Ahh...wifey Michelle. She's got this look on her face, oh no, is she feeling okay? I know she was pushing it in her half...did she go too hard? She's fine...it's me she's worried about. I'm cool...time to push it into the finish.
Mile 26 - 26.2. Complete joy...love the finish at the Gateway. What a spectacular atmosphere...great crowd. Huge thanks to all the volunteers, they're always amazing. Final time 3:26.57.
In closing...
I have a goal to qualify in 2010, and join Michelle at the 2011 Boston Marathon. I know I will get there. In reading the above, you probably think I had a miserable experience with this race. That couldn't be further from the truth. I had an amazing time. I love to run and race, and I'm not disappointed at all. I will be back again next year, and the next, and the next...and hopefully until I'm in a box. Life is good.
P.S. - I tried to sign up for 15 Marathons yesterday, but Michelle (the greatest wife ever) gave me some perspective. We do this for fun...just get out there and run!
Run Happy!



1 comment:

  1. Sorry it wasn't your day Justin, sounds like a great time though. Well some of us would die trying, but I know you both had a great time, so that is awesome! Good luck on the next one, you'll get it.

    ReplyDelete